Friday, February 11, 2005

Getting Multiple Virtual PCs to Work Together

I'm a big fan of using multple Microsoft Virtual PC images, especially for demos and development. My current machine has a second hard disk that is dedicated to images that I use for such work. One of the problems I've run into in the past is getting multiple Virtual PC instances to talk nicely together over a network - regardless of whether the host machine is connected or not. On frequent occasions I've turned up to do demos only to find out that Virtual PC #1 cannot see Virtual PC #2 on the network - even though they are on the same machine! This week I've been putting together a demo that involves 4 Virtual PCs talking to each other simultaneously (showing interop between different vendors). I put in some time working out a foolproof way to get each Virtual PC to talk to each other, and also be able to use the network adapter of the host machine. Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment